Replacing plastic light switch with chrome light switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi peeps,
I’m wanting to replace an existing plastic single light switch with a brushed chrome one. The new switch has two parts: the clip on outer face plate (didn’t want screws showing) and the part that you wire up to and fix to the back box for the face plate to clip on to, if you get my drift. When I had a quick look at the existing configuration (power off of course), the first thing I noticed was that the earth connection point on the new switch lines up directly with that on the embedded metal back box, and may “collide” with each other when I try to screw the new switch on. Has anyone else had this problem and resolved it without having to replace the embedded back box too ?. I bought this switch recently in B&Q so I’m sure I’m not the only one to have come across this potential problem. Apologies if I’ve confused the hell out of everyone. Keith

Sponsored Links
You may need a deeper back box to accommodate the new switch plate,sounds like yours is too shallow

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back