Replacing polycarbonate roof. What options do we have

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We currently have a small side extension which has been there since we moved in. I'm under the assumption it's been up for the last 10 years. Its all brick walls. Double skin brick and the cavity insulated.

I'm tempted to ring planning and building control and ask for advice but I'm under the assumption the structure what is there was built under permitted development but never passed by building control. Is that a major problem? I know building control would want to be involved when replacing the roof. I'm guessing they would check the roof is insulated correctly. Would they want to check the foundations of the existing structure?

Or do I need to dig trial holes and get a structural engineer to check the foundation depths who then pass this onto building control who then are happy for the job to go ahead?

Sponsored Links
Before you rush in digging holes go onto your local Planning.gov web page and search for your address and it will tell you what the status of the property is regarding any Planning Apps, granted or otherwise, and also and any Building Control applications for the house. That way you will know where you stand instead of potentially instructing expensive works that may not be needed.
Another option is to check any info you have when you bought the house as there will have been some mention of it, also a good idea looking on Google Earth and going back on the historic images tab to establish when it was built.

Sponsored Links
What are you actually applying for?

I can't see that you can just apply "for a roof" on what would be an authorised room, as then you are creating a habitable room and that brings in a load of other criteria that needs to conform to building regulations.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back