Replacing Polyorc cold water piping. Cost?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all. I've recently purchased a late '70s semi Bungalow. Midway through tearing out the bathroom, I discovered to my abject horror that I've also purchased a period-correct Polyorc cold water feed. It's 100% Polyorc. It says so on the pipe.
Not only that, but the stopvalve under the kitchen sink has developed a minor (for now...) leak. I probably stood too close to it, or shut a door too hard or something.
Anyway, as luck may have it, I need to tear up and replace the kitchen subfloor, and the rest of the house is currently bare 22mm chipboard. I've successfully chased the polyorc pipe from the kitchen to the single bathroom. Besides passing under a couple of stud walls, the pipe is now almost entirely accessible. How much would I be looking at to have a plumber tear it out and replace with copper/barrier pipe?
There's only one kitchen and one bathroom, so we're only looking at about 8m total of 22mm pipework, plus the tails for the soon to be fitted kitchen and bathroom and reconnection to the combi boiler.

The feed into the property is 27mm Alkathene, and I'll be replacing the floor myself. All I'm really looking for is a reasonable estimated cost for the plumber to rip out the nasty grey stuff and replace like for like with less nasty grey stuff or nice shiny copper stuff.

Ta!

Sponsored Links
I am indeed! I'm considering doing the piping myself as it's a reasonably straightforward job (Imperial Alkathene to 22mm pipe, tee off to combi and CW kitchen tap feed Run through to bathroom, tee off again for shower/basin feeds). I'm reasonably confident in my ability, however I'm by no means a qualified plumber and considering the plan is to fix this issue, then bury said pipe in reasonably expensive chipboard, ply, underlay and flooring/carpet ideally never to see the light day again for some years, I'd certainly be more open to having a professional do it as long as the price isn't going to be obscene.

I'm not looking to compare prices as such, more just looking to see if anyone has had a similar job done and how much it stung them. It's my first home so I'm not overly familiar with the rates plumbers would generally charge for what I assume would be an afternoon's work.

Sponsored Links
Well done for buying your first home!

I would advise to get 3 quotes and take it from there.

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back