Replacing PolyPipe PB1ZM Controller with Nest?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey folks,

Firstly - apologies for the classic DIY questions - I've tried to be as detailed as I can but if I've missed anything I'll do my best to correct ASAP. Secondly - as an amateur/DIYer, I'm aware of the inherent dangers of a 230v supply and having already replaced one part of my heating system thermostat I'll be sure to take a step back if this seems too complicated and bring in a pro!

Currently I have one Nest Thermostat controlling my heating/hot water. There's a separate system which controls my underfloor heating - it uses a PolyPipe PB1ZM controller with a hard wired thermostat.

Wiring diagram for the PB1ZM: (Attached: PolyPipe_R.PNG).

I've reviewed the wiring options for the Nest and I'm not seeing an obvious solution so thought I'd ask here to see if anyone had any ideas on whether this was something the Nest could cope with?

PDF pages 12/13/14: https://www.electricity.gg/media/56395/NEST-Thermostat-User-Guide.pdf

Appreciate any help and guidance on this one!

Cheers!

Attachments

• PolyPipe_R.PNG
    PolyPipe_R.PNG
    320.6 KB · Views: 3,976
Sponsored Links
If your existing thermostat is just a basic room thermostat having a voltage free contact [The diagram symbol suggests that this is the case] that operates by sensing the ambient air temperature only, then as the Nest Heatlink is a RF receiver, it can be wired in as such and the hard wired thermostat removed. If the existing thermostat has any special functions applicable to underfloor heating though, the Nest won't be able to provide them.

Capture.JPG

Last edited:
If your existing thermostat is just a basic room thermostat having a voltage free contact [The diagram symbol suggests that this is the case] that operates by sensing the ambient air temperature only, then as the Nest Heatlink is a RF receiver, it can be wired in as such and the hard wired thermostat removed. If the existing thermostat has any special functions applicable to underfloor heating though, the Nest won't be able to provide them.

View attachment 150825

Finally got around to installing our second Nest today. These instructions were awesome - worked an absolute treat. Much much more simple than trying to rip apart the original controller.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back