replacing pull switch but 9 cables

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to replace my old pull switch. I took a photo of where all the cables went on the old switch but the inside of the new switch looks nothing like the old one. I have 9 cables coming out of the ceiling (3 red, 3 black and three yellow/green although two of the yellow green earth cables are bound together).
The new pull switch has a L1, L2 and COM terminals. Can you help me work out what cable goes where?
Thank you

Sponsored Links
IMG_5355.JPG

Sponsored Links
Looks like a loop-in arrangement at the switch rather than at the fitting?

One cable will be the incoming power from the consumer unit, one cable will be power going out to another fitting. The third will be the switched live going to this fitting.

Unfortunately the original photos don't look like they will particularly help identify which is which...

Is there a loft above?

If so, see if one of those cables goes to the light.

If so, report back and we can probably tell you how to do it.

Careful SW, you'll have BAS yapping at your heels...

Lisa, if you remember which of the switch terminals only had one wire in, that'll be the light.

UNLESS.... you have a fan that comes on AND goes off with the light.

Thanks I have now worked out which one is the light. What do I do now?

Make the sure the power is definitely isolated.

Put the three green and yellow sleeved wires in the brass earth terminal.

The three blacks in the seperate connector.

The red to the light in L1.

The remaining reds in COM.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back