Replacing radiator pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I lifted my bedroom radiator off the wall whilst I wallpapered behind it and subsequently bent the pipe where it goes under the floorboards. Now the radiator won't work. What do I have to do to fix it and more importantly how?

Sponsored Links
You have kinked the pipe and caused a restriction. Firstly you will have to lift some boards to expose the pipework, then ascertain what size the pipe is (8, 10 OR 15mm). DRain your system, cut out the bad peice and use either a speedfit fit push on or compression type staight connector of the correct size for your pipe. You can get away without draining the system, just turn the rad off and vent off any pressure usinng a bit of hose a bucket conncted to the drain valve usually founf near a rad downstairs somewhere. Get some old towels to catch the drips and do it as quick as you can.

I wite computer software for a living but plumbing isn't rocket science it just reqires a bit of common sense.

amhelectro said:
You have kinked the pipe and caused a restriction. Firstly you will have to lift some boards to expose the pipework, then ascertain what size the pipe is (8, 10 OR 15mm). DRain your system, cut out the bad peice and use either a speedfit fit push on or compression type staight connector of the correct size for your pipe. You can get away without draining the system, just turn the rad off and vent off any pressure usinng a bit of hose a bucket conncted to the drain valve usually founf near a rad downstairs somewhere. Get some old towels to catch the drips and do it as quick as you can.

I wite computer software for a living but plumbing isn't rocket science it just reqires a bit of common sense.

Do NOT take this advice. It is wrong. It may not be rocket science, but you have little common sense.

He's on the right lines. What he's trying to describe is how to cause the system water to hang in suspension.

If it's an open vented system, cap the vent and bung the feed. Drain off water from the drain off until no more flow, shut drain off, close the rad valves conscerned, now you can cut and repair the pie and you won't lose a drop, not one drop. No need to panic or to hurry.

If a sealed system, close dust cap on auto air vent, ignore the open vented part, and otherwise as above.

Sponsored Links
Paul Barker said:
He's on the right lines. What he's trying to describe is how to cause the system water to hang in suspension.

If it's an open vented system, cap the vent and bung the feed. Drain off water from the drain off until no more flow, shut drain off, close the rad valves conscerned, now you can cut and repair the pie and you won't lose a drop, not one drop. No need to panic or to hurry.

If a sealed system, close dust cap on auto air vent, ignore the open vented part, and otherwise as above.

Except he does not:-

1) Differentiate between a sealed and open system
2) Describe any of the detail of how to actually do it

But best of all is the assertion that a) he wites (sic) computer software and that b) plumbing isn't rocket science.

The implication being that witing compter software whilst not actually rocket science, is a lot closer to it than plumbing. A commonly held belief in the software witing community is that if all else fails, as it almost certainly will when UK PLC successfully finishes its outsourcing project to whatever happens to be the cheapest country in the world, then they can all become plumbers.

Ah well I had a made on 80k in puters who jacked it in because he was carrying too many folk, work politics and all that, think he became a mini cab driver.

FOOOOOOL.

Grass is always greener, they haven't a clue what a cushy number they are on.

They're welcome to try plumbing for me, no way a computer nurd has what it takes.

paul, can you elaborate on what you said about causing water to hang in suspension? first time i've heard of this. would you have to close down all upstairs rads? i would have thought that when you cut into pipe you would have a flood of biblical proportions. not that i doubt what your saying but cant quite get my head round it

No elaboration required, I've described what to do. Follow my instructions to the letter, don't add anything or take anything away.

Suck some water up a straw and put finger over end. Now do you believe me?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back