Replacing radiator with after tiling.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I will be replacing an existing radiator with a chrome towel one as soon as possible.
However i need to remove the old one whilst i tile behind it as im tiling the bathroom too. As i need the tiles to dry out etc first i was wondering what is best way to deal with this.

Heard about trying to lift rad off brackets and lay down or prop up using some kind of battern system whilst i tile and for them to dry. Not sure how to go about this as it would mean loosening nuts dealing with any water. Then remove to install new one.

OR

TO remove it and insert new valves on with isolation. This would probably mean not having a radiator over night whilst the tile dry out. Would i have a problem with the other rads or balancing as will have no radiator for a while.

OR

Can i freeze the pipes, remove rad and again install new valves with isolation before the water has thawed out.

In any way i will have to re adjust some of the pipework to fit the new radiator and hide in floor as it runs along the skirting whereas i want it hiding in floor..Is the best done with the rad already installed on wall and work from the rad to the floor. Just looking for easiest way to go about really..

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Jeepers, some people really make a meal out of the simplest jobs....

Just close the existing rad valves, loosen the union (to radiator) nuts, catch the water that drains out with plastic dish or whatever, undo unions and remove radiator, tip up radiator to drain out remaining sludge, carry radiator outside leaving trail of black drips over new beige carpets. Get divorced. Simple.

also while loosening union nuts, inadvertently revolve rad valve, buckle copper micro-bore pipe and entire system drains onto bathroom floor while you scrabble into loft to tie up the ball valve in the expansion tank.

Not sure what wer're talking about? get a plumber in!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back