Replacing radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, I'm going to replace the bathroom radiator as the old one is corroding. It'll be a straight swap, like for like, to reuse the existing pipework I hope.

The two pipes the come up from the floor are exactly 1200mm apart. The radiator itself seems to be 1120mm in width. I was assuming until now that I'd be looking for a 1200mm rad, but now I'm not so sure. What's the situation please?

Sponsored Links
you have done the measurements, you now know the situation, or you should do.

Thanks michele5041. I didn't know about the extensions, I'll look into that.

I take it that radiators didn't always come in standard sizes of 100mm increments? 1120 seems an odd width.

Sponsored Links
Job almost complete: ONE QUESTION!

I have a new rad, and two new valves (lockshield and trv). What position should the valves be in when I turn the water on?

The lockshield valve, straight from the box, seems to be tightened clockwise, which I believe means it's off? So I should turn it anti-clockwise the other way, to open it, is that correct? What about the trv?

Try looking or blowing through the LS valve. You will quickly learn if it's turned off, and which way to turn it.

Probably safer to remove the head while fitting the TRV.

You will need to balance the rad by adjusting the LS valve, while the TRV head is off. A good starting point is with the LS open about half a turn.

Ok help - I've turned the water back on but the rads don't seem to be filling. It's been over an hour, and in the past the system has filled quickly. I go around the few rads I have, opening the bleed valve, and occasionally there's the tinyest bit of air escaping but it soon stops, and none of them have had any water coming out.

What could be stopping the water filling?

EDIT: haha, panic over, it helped when I turned the boiler back on...!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back