replacing/repairing oil pump on oil burner

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a Riello 40 G3B oil burner coupled to a warm air central heating unit. It has been acting up recently - first the motor stopped working a month or so ago; it had been sounding like a strangled cat on startup up for a long while, but replacing the capacitor did the trick and it was running great again.

However, this week the burner went to lock out and would not restart although the motor was still working ok. I checked and cleaned the nozzle which was recently replaced at a service by an oftec engineer and it looked fine. The spark gap was also OK.

Eventually I worked out the oil pump was not delivering any oil. I stripped it down and found that there is a pin that connects the drive shaft to the gear wheel in the pump housing - I guess it is a shear pin. It did not quite fill the gap and so only provided an intermittent coupling between the shaft and the gear wheel.

As the wife was freezing I fixed it up by cutting a soft iron nail to the correct length and using that. Now all is working OK again, but I have doubts about how long it will last.

On the various spares websites I could not see the pin provided as an item. Is it possible to obtain just the pin or do you need to get a whole pump ?

If a whole pump, is it a simple replacement or do you need to set up the pump pressure? I am guessing you need to set the pressure correctly as it would affect the flow rate through the nozzle and the combustion mix. Would also guess that means you need some kind of gas analyser which I dont have and so is time to get the oftec man back, but worth asking the question in case the nozzle is some how kind of self regulating.

Sponsored Links
Was just looking at the technical manual for the burner and it seems that the pump pressure setting for Kero is pretty much always the same (8 bar) for all flow rates and it is the selection of nozzle that controls the output.

Given that the pumps are factory set to 8 bar and it's the same nozzle and air flow setting hasn't been altered it sounds like a simple swap might be fine ?

Any opinions ?

It still needs a FGA and Smoke pump test to make sure everything is running correctly, but thats your decision.

It's the settings in the appliance MI's, not the burner, that have to be followed. In any event you'll require the proper tools to set up and re-commission after a pump change.

Sponsored Links
OK thanks for the advice. I think I'll get the spare pump in and if/when the existing one fails do the swap over myself and then get the oftec guy to come and service it and check the settings.

Personally I wouldnt be messing around stripping the Oil pum down, far quicker & safer just to replace the Oil pump, HOWEVER the oil pump will need to be calibrated to the unit, as NOT all pumps are standard set @ 8bar (115 psi), better to get a competent burner engineer in

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back