Replacing screed (25-40mm) and installing dpm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently pulled up the screed from my floor because it was cracked and damaged from damp.

So I need to replace the screed, the screed depth required ranges from 25-40mm (concrete floor is not entirely level).

I've taken some pics so you can get the idea:

Here, you can see the depth of the old screed (around 40mm here), and the old concrete base has bitumen on the top, and is not very smooth.

IMG_9449.jpg

An old rusty Gase pipe has been removed here, looking for something to fill the gap with...
IMG_9451.jpg

Here you can see the DPC in the wall (There is no DPM in the floor)
IMG_9452.jpg

There is some radiator pipes that were set in the old screed floor:
IMG_9455.jpg

There is no DPM in the concrete sub base, and given the damp problems I would like to add one.

From looking around at various threads here, the process seems to be along the lines of:
* grind floor to remove bitumen and lumps
* prime floor (seems optional but recommended)
* some self levelling screed 5-10mm?
* 2 X Dpm coats
* more self levelling screed to bring the floor level up with rest of house. 10-30mm?

So I'm after advice please:

1. What screeds would you recommend?
I've looked at F Ball stopgap 1200 and Aditex Na. F Ball seems better value and says can be used to go up up to 30mm deep with aggregate.

2. Which DPM?
current throught is that if I went with F&Ball I'd use theirs otherwise the Ardex DPM

3. What should I wrap the radiator pipes in, if anything?

4. What should I fill the gap with - where the old gas pipe was, before screeding?
I was thinking just of getting it clear and then using sharp sand/cement 3:1? Was also thinking of just emptying a tube of cheap silicon in the gas pipe should some water find its way in.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_9456.jpg
    IMG_9456.jpg
    775.9 KB · Views: 316
  • IMG_9457.jpg
    IMG_9457.jpg
    888.6 KB · Views: 315
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back