Replacing Shed Roof with Polycarbonate for Increased Light?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'd like to upgrade my garden workshop (it's a shed) by replacing half or all of the roof with a transparent panel. To allow more natural light in. I've found a company that makes plastic sheds with a translucent roof, they seem a bit too dark and could I simply purchase some polycarbonate sheeting and install it myself? My idea would be to remove the boards from one side of the roof and replace them with the polycarbonate - to maximise the amount of light. I've insulated the shed walls and roof with Kingspan and would like the roof to continue to be fairly warm.

I've thought of a few problems.

What to do with the ridge?
What to do at the gable ends - How to seal the edges?
How to attach the polycarbonate without creating leaks?
The sun over heating the workshop like a greenhouse?
Losing heat during the winter?
Condensation?

Any advice would be very welcome...

f4091cc79b.jpg

Sponsored Links
Polycarbonate sheeting is usually sealed between joins with double edged U shaped strips. You need to get the correct sized U strips for the thickness of poly you are using. Gable ends can be sealed with single U strips that have a 90 degree flat edge on them.
To let maximum light in you would need clear polycarbonate but for heat retention it would also need to be twin or triple wall. To seal the ridge edge you may need to form some sort of V ridge to sit over both sides and sealed to prevent capillary action.

What did you end up using to join the ridge?
thank you for your insight

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back