Replacing shower pull cord

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

DIY newbie here!

So I have an Aquatronics 2 electric shower, and the pull cord has broken, not the actual cord, but the plastic bit at the top of the cord that is inside the switch. It was getting very hard to switch on and off recently and well I pulled it last night a bit too hard and it just broke...

//www.diynot.com/shop/Marbo_45A_Pull_Cord_Sw__Neon/15581

This is basically what it looks like...am I fine buying this one, or any other similar one? How do I know whether to get a 45A or 50A version as I have seen both floating online?

How exactly do I change it? I am a complete n00b...is there a guide or something? Do I need to reconnect all the cables etc? Im assuming I should turn off the house electricity or something first...lol?

Also do I need to change the WHOLE thing? Or is it possible to just change the cord with the plastic thing at the top, how will I know it will fit or are they all the same shape at the top?

And lastly am I right in turning it off by the pull cord after every shower, and back on before each one? Sometimes that means its being turned on/off multiple times in one day..or should it be left on all the time, with minimal extra cost?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
You call an electrician.

Honestly, if you've never done any before, a shower switch is not the thing to start with.

You call an electrician.

Honestly, if you've never done any before, a shower switch is not the thing to start with.
Even though I have not done any house electrics before, I do enjoy doing stuff like this, eg. replacing iphone LCD screen with all the connectors was a fun 1.5 hour experience! Not saying they are comparable...

Anyway I had a thought maybe I just need to replace the cord and plastic thing at the top of it, not the whole switch..I added in a sentance to the OP..is that possible?

If you really mean
the plastic bit at the top of the cord that is inside the switch.
then you would need to replace the whole switch.

If you mean the plastic joining part (where the double cord and the single cord meet - from the link you supplied) then it should be possible to cannibalise another switch to replace the broken part.

However, if it was getting hard to pull, that indicates that the switch is not long for this World. I would replace the whole thing, but it needs care, and a very firm hand with the screws, as any hint of a loose connection will cause very early failure!.

It is fine to leave the switch on. There is an on/off switch on the shower itself, and there will only be a tiny amount of extra electricity used - probably just to illuminate a power light.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back