Replacing solvent weld basin trap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I’m after a bit of advice on the easiest way to replace a basin trap. The trap is one of the flexible corrugated things and must be filling up with gunk as I struggle to get rid of the smell coming from it.

It connects to the 32mm waste pipe using a solvent weld coupler. The waste pipe then runs straight out of the wall to the hopper outside. There’s not enough room to cut the pipe after the coupler to connect a compression fitting.

Is there a way around this without having to run a new length of waste pipe back into the house - it’s quite high up as there are two floors below and i’ll probably struggle to reach from my ladders.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Here you go
1BFF1018-2F40-4FF1-81B6-8CC4EB6205D9.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Warm the coupler with a heat gun and pull the flexi out if it is solvent weld which I have doubts about.

It’s definitely solvent weld. Didnt know if w heat gun would loosen up the glue or not

Unfortunately I have to say that it does look like solvent weld, lots of flexi pipes have ABS ends on them so they can be glued. Usding a heat gun can get solvent weld apart but it can awkward and not guaranteed to work every time, depending on how well the joint was made in the first place.

I'd be tempted to cut that flexi just at the point where the end that's glued into the coupler narrows, then you may just have enough to glue another straight coupler onto it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back