Replacing split hose connector

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So today for reasons unknown the connector in my outside tap hose decided to split causing a minor flood. Luckily it has an isolation valve and is now turned off. No idea why it split since it hasn't been touched in years.

full

My question is, can the connector be taken off and replaced? I assume I would need to remove the whole part from the silver clip up to the connector and replace. Is it just a hose connector like this

ae235

with a jubilee clip around it or is their a better option? Worried if I did that it might not hold under the pressure and pop off. I know I could replace the whole hose pipe but reluctant to do that since its very secure in the wall and would mean essentially digging it out.

Sponsored Links
That 2nd photo is for a trap and a completely different size. I don't think you can replace the connector, and a new one or a decent job in copper would be best. You may be able to twist it out of the wall.

Yeah it wouldnt twist out, it's in pretty solid with plaster on the outside wall. Its nothing I cant chip away but was wanting to avoid doing it.

full

The only other thing that may work, is to purchase a washing machine hose, and try to get the connector to fit? Bit of a bodge, but might work.

Sponsored Links
Get it ripped out and plumb in a new external tap with check valve and isolation. While you are at it, remove the Y piece and fit 2 washing machine valves.

That is a burst pipe waiting to happen.

Andy

It does have an isolation, its turned off at the moment. Think the y valve is because of the dishwasher.

I am with Andy. The plastic Y pieces aren't the best quality, given the use of that and the cheap outdoor tap kit, I'd seriously engage someone to sort it out properly, remove the Y piece, fit 2 appliance valves, and plumb the outside tap in correctly using copper pipework. Leaving that as is wont end well, sooner or later something else will give, and if you're asleep or out at the time, it's not going to be pretty.

Insurance may not cover the damage either if poor workmanship is evident.

What is it thsts so wrong with the y connector? It was put in by a plumber as part of a new kitchen.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back