Replacing Surface Mounted Pneumatic Light Switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Perhaps somebody can advise, it's a Victorian conversion with 2 flats, there is a pneumatic light switch in the hallway that is surface mounted and sticks out uglily into the hallway and we would like to recess it.

But I am wondering why it was surface mounted in the first place, there seems also to be a patch above it as if there had been a previous socket above and then it had been moved down.

That corner where it is on seems to take quite a high structural load and not sure if its too clever cutting out a square to recess it ?

Thanks for any advice.

full

full

Sponsored Links
You could replace it (them, if there are several) with an electronic equivalent such as
http://new.abb.com/low-voltage/prod...ay/timers-switches/standard-push-button-timer
More reliable, more attractive, and doesn't go "clunk" when it switches off.

Yes that would be absolutely fantastic ... the question I have is : am I safe to cut into that wall and recess it behind where it currently is ?

Or could there be a structural problem ? Or could there be a secret reason it was surface mounted aside from laziness ?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back