Flush mounting a light switch into a false wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As you go up the stairs to my loft conversion there is a false wood wall on the side of the light switch. At this moment in time the white light switch is just mounted on top of the wood sticking out several cms. I want to change it to a chrome light switch but flush mount into the wood.

Now my question is if I cut a hole in the wood then in order to mount the 25mm metal backing box it wont have anything to support it so will just fall. Is it possible to flush mount a light switch into wood/false wall and if so how :?:

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
AdrianB said:
As you go up the stairs to my loft conversion there is a false wood wall on the side of the light switch. At this moment in time the white light switch is just mounted on top of the wood sticking out several cms. I want to change it to a chrome light switch but flush mount into the wood.

Now my question is if I cut a hole in the wood then in order to mount the 25mm metal backing box it wont have anything to support it so will just fall. Is it possible to flush mount a light switch into wood/false wall and if so how :?:

Many thanks.

Yes use a fastfix box. They have tags on the sides you insert the box then push out the tags and tighten up against the inside of the wall. Everywhere does them

Sponsored Links
Very helpful i'm glad I found this site! I hope i can find one at B+Q

I cant get to it from behind.

I've just found a picture of one. I'm probably being really stupid here but if they have tags on the sides to be tightened against the wall surely there wont be any wall on the sides it will just be a hollow hole?

No you will see when you get it. The tags push out, therefore larger than the hole, also the box has a flange that sits on the surface

In my bedroom the light swiths are flush mounted into the false wall I took one of them off and had a look so it all makes sense now. Very clever.

I`m just a tadd concerned about what the other side of the switch position looks like

Looks ok I guess, at least I think so :confused: Not as good as if I got a professional in obviously, but fairly tidy and didn't cost anything.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back