Advising on flush mounting light switch.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am changing this and other light switches around the house to chrome. Most of my houses lights like this one pictured are sort of half flush mounted but still stick out of the wall.

I want the new switch to sit flush with the wall which will mean removing the white plastic backing, making the hole deeper and replacing with probably a new metal back box so it sits flush.

This is a false wall but I don't know the best method or tool to use to make the hole deeper. Any suggestions anyone?

Many thanks.

http://img163.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscf16827ft.jpg

Sponsored Links
you say this is a false wall. Do you mean a plasterboard wall with wooden supports? If so, you dont make the hole deeper. The hole is there, it is a case of boxing off the hole. You need a plastic back box with clips that grip the back of the plasterboard. Have you actually taken the switch off?

By the way, when you do take off the light switches, IF THERE IS NO EARTH DO NOT EVEN THINK ABOUT FITTING THOSE CHROME SWITCHES They NEED an earth for yours and your family's safety. That is a pretty old switch, chances are your lighting circuit needs rewiring so you can have an earth.

Thanks for the reply crafy. Luckily all the sockets do have an earth!

I assume its plasterboard with wooden supports. The switch screws into a white backing box that doesn't look like the plastic back boxes your referring to.

The backing box is screwed into whatever is directly behind it. It appears to be some sort of plaster board in the middle of the wall and this is what i'm not sure how to cut. I'll get another picture up when I take the switch and backing box off to make things clearer.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back