Replacing surface mounted sockets with sunken socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Just a quick one, am I allowed by law to replace my nasty looking surface mounted mains sockets (white place box with sockets on front) to a nice flush mounted socket (providing I can of course chase the brick / breeze block to accept the metal back box with the main socket face then screwed on to this?).

Cheers
Mike

Sponsored Links
It is not illegal to sink boxes in to the wall and as it is an existing circuit, would not see a problem regarding notification procedures.
Are the cables also surface mounted or buried?

If you want to install flat plate sockets, the back boxes will need to be 35mm deep, for standard stepped plates, 25mm will be okay

Thanks for the reply, well the mains cabling to the socket certainly isn't on the wall so I'm guessing it's buried in the plaster or comes from behind, I will do some investigation work (with the mains off!) just to see what's what when I take the socket front off...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back