Replacing T&G Chipboard Floor... How to cut????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi… Again!!!
I am replacing my bathroom floor as the T&G Chipboard is crumbling in patches. Im going to use 25mm WBP so I can tile directly on top. BUT… I need to remove all T&G, it passes under stud walls. I understand I can cut at this edge add/ extend joist to support and screw down every 200mm…. My question (get to the point) is….. just how do I cut so close to the stud wall….. I can empty room but 2 walls are studded. I haven’t see a tool in DIY shops to assist…. Please can someone help…. Its starting to keep me awake at night…

Thanks

Sponsored Links
you can get a floorboard saw. It has a sort of round end with teeth on it that curves up from the usual toothed part.

sometimes called a round-breasted saw, I think.

hard work though.

take the skirting off first so you can get close. look out for pipes and cables (you may want to whiz through the floor with a TCT circular saw a bit out from the wall first, so you can see what's there. to do this, you set the depth of cut so it is a fraction less than the chipboard, and break it out. this avoids cutting quite so many pipes.

a normal circular saw will get within around 1" off the wall set the blade for 0.5mm short off the full depth to avoid services

also if the wall is running between 2 joists you will need noggins to support it especialy if the floor is shot ;)

monkey - use a TCT circular saw (as per JohnD's advice); if you ain't got one buy a really cheepo jobby from one of the sheds but it must have a TCT blade. To finish off close to the wall use a hand saw; whilst you're in one of the sheds getting the TCT jobby buy a hard-point handsaw (£6+). By using a handsaw you can bend the blade slightly so that you hand doesn't rub on the wall. Use a mirror to coninually check below the floor for pipes/cables, etc.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Guys.
Excuse Stupidity TCT??? :oops:
I had a brain wave of putting blade on an angle grinder (previuos toolkit) that would allow me to get within mm of wall....
Also the floor at the point where wall runs 90degrees to joists is ok. Would I be wise to still run noggins?
I was going to screw some wood to joists where running parallel to screw floor too....
Any golden nuggets your experience could share????
Thanks

Use the Bosch copy of the Fein Multimaster if you want to get right up and I mean right up to the edge. Should do the job and the blades are cheaper.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back