Chipboard flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

my house is 150 years old and the joists look like 4x2. The chipboard that has been laid is not very good. I would like to replace this with T&G floor grade chipboard.

I understand how to lay this but am not sure what thickness to lay. Shall I go for 22mm or 18mm? I need to determine the spacing ie 400 or 600 mm too.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
if you are going to the trouble of replacing the flooring, don't use chipboard. It's rubbish. You can get flooring ply, or wooden T&G "plank" floorboards.

Hi JohnD,

What are the differences between these and the issue with floor grade T&G chipboard?

thanks

Sponsored Links
flooring chipboard is very weak, it breaks easily including at nail or screw holes when it flexes, it falls apart if it gets wet, it is prone to squeak at joints.

If you have it at the bottom of stairs, where people may step heavily onto it or children jump down, it is inclined to crack.

At a place where it is stood on regularly (e.g. in front of a sink) or under a heavy appliance such as a dishwasher it is inclined to crack.

(all the faults above have happened to the chipboaard floors my house was built with).

WBP ply is a bit dearer but far superior.

"Floorboards" are more expensive and work to lay but are also superior and look much better.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back