Replacing The Lock In A UPVC Door?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently split with my partner which was quite a nasty affair :rolleyes: Anyway I really want to change the lock in the front door, as she did eventually return the key to me, although she may of got one cut. The thing is I was wondering if replacing the lock or the barrell or whatever can be a DIY job? The door is at least 10 years old by the way. If it isn't I will get a locksmith, but this will obviously have the usual bloated price just to get them out. But if that is the best way I will obviously do it, any help please?

Sponsored Links
Don't believe the TV hype over Locksmiths charging wads of money to open doors and cahnge locks. It's the same with any trade - it only takes a few dickheads to create the wrong impression for the public.

To answer your question - Yes it can be done by yourself, but you'll need to take the cylinder to a shop that stocks a wide range in order to get the correct size and quality. To take it out, remove the retaining screw from the side of the door and then with the key in the lock turn the key a few degrees either way whilst trying to push the cylinder out.

Have a go, and if you can't do it, or can't find the correct size, then call a locksmith - look for a local member on www.theinstituteofcertifiedlocksmiths.org. What area are you in ?

Ok thanks for you help mate, great advice very much appreciated ;)

The 5-pin Euro Mortice locks are surprisingly easy to replace. I needed to replace mine when moving into a new house. As HandyHands said there is only one screw (On the side whilst the door is open, it also looks different to all the other screws) to undo.

You measure the lock from the bit that sticks out when you turn the key. Usually it's measured from the sticking out bit to each end, eg 35mm one way and 45mm the other, or it could be central.
And also the overall length. You will also be surprised at how much some shops charge for these locks. I had a range of £28 - £6!! You can see more for sale here:
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/cat.jsp?cId=100224&ts=91204

Thanks Jono

Sponsored Links
Could be wrong but I think the difference in price often comes down to the casing and whether it is brass or steel - like with most things you get what you pay for.

Also be careful how much protusion you have of the cylinder on the outside of the door. Anymore than a couple of mm and you are posing a weakness to a burglar

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back