Replacing Three Louvre Windows - cheap simple option?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Am in the process of buying a flat that's got a very ropey 'lean to / extension / conservatory' at the back of the house.

This will be completely replaced in due course - but in the mean time we'll want to make it properly weathertight and secure for the minimum amount of money, as quickly as possible.

This means replacing three ground floor louvre windows that are installed side by side at about head height. They look like the kind you'd normally see in a garage / greenhouse / shed.

My problem is that I'm having a bit of difficulty finding windows (i.e. real ones - not louvre ones) that are the same size as these - Screwfix, Wickes etc. all seem to only stock bigger ones.

The louvre windows are about 1' high and 1.5' wide (sorry - can't measure them at the moment). So I'm looking at a space about 1' high and 4.5' wide.

What would you do for minimum hassle, cost and need for expertise?

(Oh - and sorry to be a hippy, but given that we'll be throwing away whatever we put in over the next couple of years - I'd prefer to avoid UPVC if possible).

[/wiki]

Sponsored Links
is there a wooden frame the lourves are attached to!!!

if there is and assuming its 44mm
attach a 18x18mm batton to the inside edge that will give you a ledge to putty in some normal glass ;)

yes there is - sounds perfect. Reckon I should be able to manage that one.

Now, this will be my first home so everything is new to me - no serious DIY experience before. So be gentle with me on my next question:

Do double glazed panes only come inside a window? I.e. is it two pieces of glass already installed in a window with the frame being the thing that keeps the two panes the appropriate distance apart from one another.

OR

Is it possible to get two pieces of glass cut so size that are then joined together around the edges to form 'double glazed panes'?

Que fits of laughter from everyone that know what they're on about!

Come to think of it - perhaps I ought to just put single panes in and then fit secondary glazing on the inside - much simpler - just thinking that double glazed would deal with condenstion better (I'm being thick aren't I?).

Cheers

double glazing is always in sealed units with an inert gas so that heat dos'nt easily transfer

in my plan you only use a single pane off glass any more would overcomplicate although you could at around £60 a window over the £12 ish for single glazing

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back