Three windows/french doors quotes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All :)

Would it be possible for anyone with the relevant knowledge to give their opinion on these three quotes? They don't mean much to me, any help would be great :)

Offer 1: The profile of re enforced u.p.v.c window that we use is VEKA HALO SUSTEM 10. The glass that we use is A RATED PLAMITHERM filled with argon gas as an insulate. All works will be with a ten-year guarantee sent to you after work is complete from fensa, the governing body within the double glazing industry.

Cost: £2200

Offer 2 : The Windows and doors will be A rated in rosewood, with rosewood cladding in between the posts and the profile of the Windows and doors will be whs halo which is one of the best pvcu Window profile on the market. We have 15 reviews on rated people and photos of work we've done.

Cost: £1750

Offer 3 : Remove existing window, remove centre section of wall below window to create new aperture, fit new A-rated Rosewood French doors at 1800mm wide, fit new A-rated Rosewood side windows with top openers to either side of French doors, make good internal plaster and skirting board.

Cost: The total cost to do the work listed above including removal of rubbish, materials and labour is £1970.

Sponsored Links
10 year guarantee is industry standard, and should be offered by all three companies, Fensa/Certass are not the guarantors ( or ' governing boadies ' they are Competent Persons Scheme providers ). They are just bodies which most Upvc companies are registered with and endure that , in theory , the company knows what it is doing. Any company registered with Fensa/Certass have to provide an independentt 10 year warranty ( with a company such as Quality Assured National Warranties ... lots of other warranty companiess available! ), they should also provide a warranty from themselves , which would also be your first port of call in case of any issues.
All sealed units must come with Argon gas , which is a heat retention gas, along with a Low e glass ( usually Planitherm or Pilkington K softcoat ) which also aids in heat retention. Being A rated they should also have ' Warm Edge Spacer' which reduces heat treansferrence between the pains of glass , and also Diamant Glass which is Low in Iron ( that green you see when lots of glass stacked up! ) and therefore allows more sunlight through.

Whs Halo one of the best on the market ..... very subjective comment, completely honest most profiles are know a much of a muchness and its the manufacturer of the window and the actual installation team that will deem if the windows are any good....

Not sure about the ' cladding ' between the windows in offer 2 , a reinforced frame coupler should be sufficient I would have thought.

Prices ... really depends on what you feel is best value for money , ask around other people who have used the companies, recommendations are normally the best way to guage

Many thanks for the reply. This is so much more complex than we thought it would be. Could you tell me from your experience does one offer stand out better than the others? Or any that you would avoid?

Sponsored Links
I'm gonna guess they are all local companies...as personally I would avoid nationals. In which case , if local firms , ask around neighbours etc to see if any of them have had any work done by any of them. I can't really comment on whether one is better than the other, just make sure that they are Fensa/Certass registered and are giving you an Insurance backed warranty , as well as their own warranty. Usually best to have fitters that work for the company too , rather than sub contracted out . If they work for the company ythey are unlikely to be on ' price work ' so , in theory , will do a better job as they won't be rushing...........

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back