Replacing twin entry valve radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI, hope someone can help. I am renovating the bathroom and need to replace the radiator. The old radiator has a twin entry valve on one side. This is the only twin entry valve in the house which has a combi-boiler. Can I connect the new radiator to the old valve or does it need to be replaced with a new valve either end and if so does the central heating system need to be drained down. Thanks for your help in advance.

Sponsored Links
1. If the new radiator is virtually identical to the old, then in THEORY you could re-use the valve.
2. In practice, they usually have a pipe running inside the radiator to take one "side" of the valve to the other end of the radiator. These tubes often break off, whereupon the radiator doesn't work properly.
3. I'd recommend replacing with a new valve at each end. If you are careful, the pipework for the "extended" side can moistly be concealed behind the radiator.
4. Whether to drain down or not depends on the type of system you have, and your ability to do things quickly. If plumbing is fairly new to you, draining down, while taking longer, means you don't run the risk of a flood.

The old twin entry valves with injector tubes are no longer in use and you wouldn't really want re-use it as they tend to fall apart. Better off to re-pipe 2 valves @ either end.

You do get a modern equivalent now mind you, Danfos do them - they're called lance valves now I think.

Surprised your old twin entry valve isnt leaking, replace it they are very old style,check out Toolstation for a replacement rad they are doing great deals just now

Sponsored Links
Thanks everyone who answered, have discovered 2 more twin entry valve radiators in the house so think it will be a drain down and replace them all at the same time. I'll get a plumber for that, I've never drained down a combi system before and I don't want to wreck my sisters boiler

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back