Replacing two gang one way dimmer switche

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good day all,

Wiring on current switch and new switch attached.

From what I can see for the new switch, the live in needs to go to common on block 1 and
a connecting wire from this to common on block 2. The neutral IN needs to go to L1 on block 1 and a connecting wire from this to L1 on block 2.
This should complete the loop so each switch turns on and off the different lights.
Ights

Oh and the and the EARTH IN to the earthing point on the switch.

Am I missing anything ? All replies gratefully received

image.jpg
image.jpg

Sponsored Links
If you connect live to COM and neutral to L1 as soon as you operate the switch you will trip the MCB and probably damage the switch.

But do you actually have a neutral? To me it looks like a live (red) looped to both switches (grey) and two switched wires (blue and yellow).

It does seem with BG the
temp.jpg
means common, this is not always the case, so link to commons with red and yellow and blue to L1 terminals, however this is not how it is always marked, it varies make to make.

If you connect live to COM and neutral to L1 as soon as you operate the switch you will trip the MCB and probably damage the switch.

But do you actually have a neutral? To me it looks like a live (red) looped to both switches (grey) and two switched wires (blue and yellow).
As far as I can tell there is no neutral it would seem all cores are line.

image.jpg
Thanks Guys,

It looks like you are right ...I was trying to go by colors..

So yellow to L1 , blue to other L1, red to m
upload_2020-3-24_17-44-3.jpeg
Which will be connected to the other
upload_2020-3-24_17-45-22.jpeg

With the grey.

The earthing looks like it’s taken care of.

Sponsored Links
The last pic is that of the existing switch and it’s wiring.

Trying to replicate that on to this which is the new switch :

image.jpg

So yellow to L1 , blue to other L1, red to (common symbol that won't quote) Which will be connected to the other
(common symbol that won't quote)
With the grey.
Yes, that'll work.

The earthing looks like it’s taken care of.
I would move the earth from the backbox to the faceplate terminal and add a link from it back to the backbox.

“I would move the earth from the backbox to the faceplate terminal and add a link from it back to the back box”

If the earth is moved to the faceplate terminal and no link is added from it back to back box, how much of risk is there ?

Very little.

It's not a requirement - the faceplate must be earthed.

Why do you ask? It's not difficult or any trouble.

You could do it the other way round - leave it where it is and add wire from back-box to faceplate.

Tbh I have no extra wire and I’m trying not to go out.. will ask next door neighbor if he has some
Thanks for replying

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back