Replacing Ugly old boards with balusters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry if I got the terminology wrong...

I've almost completed the renovation of my house, but the staircase banister still looks ugly. It's heavily overpainted in white gloss, and appears to consist of base and handrails, newel posts at both ends and one in the middle, and the rest (where the balusters would be) is just 3 large pieces of board. Again, all these terms are new to me but hopefully you get the idea!

I'm thinking of knocking out the boards, stripping off all the paint and getting a joiner to stick some balusters in their place, therefore opening up the hallway and looking part of the modern-ish theme. If the wood looks crappy after stripping I can always repaint it.

Is this viable? Has anyone done this before? I presume a joiner will be able to fix the balusters on fairly easy if I knock out the boards?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Have you managed to get any answers re this yet? I've got the same kind of thing, but I'm worried about doing this as the spindles (balusters) would have to be quite short (cut down to size) for the handrail to fit on my bottom newel post. I'm hoping not to have to remove the bottom newel post as once did this in another house (long story) and couldn't solve the problem.

Are you looking to replace the newel post? :!:

Ive been trying to do pretty much the same as you guys and I havent had much luck in getting any info here ... did you guys find out anymore info especially removing the newel post...thats my big concern !! :confused:

Sponsored Links
It's a pretty standard procedure, but it may be best to get a joinr to do it, reason being is that the newel posts will probably have to be altered, these must be solid otherwise the staircase integrity is compromised. I would advise getting a few quotes, it not a particularly cheap job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back