Replacing up and over garage door with UPVC door and cladding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I want to get rid of my up and over garage door and replace it with a UPVC door in the middle with cladding either side. Im worried it wont look great. Has anyone done this? Or any other options... a secret door maybe? I don't really want a roller door as it an internal garage and I would either lose space or have to put it under the lintel and I would like to move the gas boiler to the garage and have it vent out the cladded bits.
Thanks...

Sponsored Links
I would like to move the gas boiler to the garage and have it vent out the cladded bits.
I think this may actually be your main issue and the rest follows.
There is specific guidance for boiler flues passing through timber framed structures (guidance note attached - I don't know if it's still current) and then there's the combustibility of the cladding itself, perhaps something like cedral cladding may be more appropriate?
The flue should also be at least 30-60cm's from any door or opening, which may limit placement of the doorway.

Attachments

• BCA-GN-10-Installation-of-boiler-flues-and-ventialtion-perforations-in-external-timber-framed-...pdf
    270.6 KB · Views: 79
I think this may actually be your main issue and the rest follows.
There is specific guidance for boiler flues passing through timber framed structures (guidance note attached - I don't know if it's still current) and then there's the combustibility of the cladding itself, perhaps something like cedral cladding may be more appropriate?
The flue should also be at least 30-60cm's from any door or opening, which may limit placement of the doorway.
Thanks, I will have a chat with a gas person before the boiler gets moved. It might be the door has to go on the right hand side as the boiler will be on the left but I want to avoid that as it will lose more space in the garage.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back