Replacing upvc panel in door without usual plastic beading?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

We've just moved in to our new place as tenants and I want to temporarily replace a upvc panel in the bottom of our french doors with one with a catflap in. I have done this before at my gf's last place, but there it was just a case of doing the usual - remove the rubber seals on the inside and popping out the beading on the outside, no problems.

With these doors it's different. Inside and out the panels have this hard black plasticky seal around the insides of the frame. It's unbroken at 3 of the corners. I had a try to pull it out at the other corner where the 2 ends meet, but no luck. It's almost like the seals/units are glued or sealed into the frame :confused:

Does this sound familiar to anyone? What are my chances to be able to do this? We've tried contacting some local double glazing firms but noone seems to want to know unless we bought the doors from them.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Sponsored Links
Yeah I'll put some pics up tonight when I'm back home, but I think I might have found the source of my confusion anyway.

I just talked to a friendly local tradesman (thanks 'Mr Mole'!) and I mentioned about the difference in the doors... he asked whether they are metal doors, and thinking about it, I think they are. Apparently these need to be taken off the hinges and taken apart to remove the units, in which case having no beading makes sense.

So looks like that might be the case here. Will confirm with pics later.

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
Cool, if your local tradesman is correct then it sounds like a wrap around gasket found on ali doors, if you can get some photos on i could confirm either way :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back