Replacing vertical tiles on old fireplace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an old Edwardian fireplace with a row of vertical tiles down either side. I want to replace these but believe the new tiles will have to be inserted from the back. Unfortunately, it will be impossible for me to do this and my question is can it be done any other way? Inside the fireplace is a well worn, and well cracked, firebox and I was wondering if I took a club hammer to it and then cleared out all the old mortar would it then be possible to insert the new tiles from the side?

The fire has not been used for at least thirty years and I have no intention of using it again so the firebox will not need to be replaced Thanks..

Sponsored Links
I'm in the process of re-instating a fire place and on the fireplace I have it would be impossible. The only way to get them in is to slide them in from the top (like connect4). Yours might be different but I suspect it'll still be impossible.

I have an old Edwardian fireplace with a row of vertical tiles down either side. I want to replace these but believe the new tiles will have to be inserted from the back. Unfortunately, it will be impossible for me to do this and my question is can it be done any other way? Inside the fireplace is a well worn, and well cracked, firebox and I was wondering if I took a club hammer to it and then cleared out all the old mortar would it then be possible to insert the new tiles from the side?

The fire has not been used for at least thirty years and I have no intention of using it again so the firebox will not need to be replaced Thanks..

You may need to remove the fireplace to do this. This isn't as bad as it sounds - in my (limited) experience, cast iron fireplaces are usually fixed to the wall through four cast lugs, two each side, that are then plastered in. If you cut away 2 inches of plaster/render down each side, you should find them. You'll probably also need to remove plaster/renderabove the mantel, to free it.

Hopefully the fireplace can then be pulled out so that you can insert the tiles. Replace the fireplace with new fixings through the lugs, and make good - even if you need to get a plasterer in to finish off, a little job like this shouldn't be expensive.

Obviously I have no idea what your fireplace looks like, so how the mantel connects to it will vary. If it's a cast iron mantel there may be a couple of rod and nut fixings that secure it to the fireplace itself.

Sounds like a lot of faff, but to achieve the desired result, faff is sometimes needed.

Cheers
Richard

Thanks for your replies. I know how to take the fireplace out, it's just that I cannot now do it as I have already finished decorating and the tiles are an afterthought. What about taking out the existing tiles and cutting new ones to fit in their place?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your replies. I know how to take the fireplace out, it's just that I cannot now do it as I have already finished decorating and the tiles are an afterthought. What about taking out the existing tiles and cutting new ones to fit in their place?

Can you live with the existing tiles? Are they broken?

Cheers
Richard

What about taking out the existing tiles and cutting new ones to fit in their place?

You wont be able to get them in properly but you could cut them a tiny bit narrower than the slot then push them in from the front, I suppose. If it is done neatly then the edges might look ok. Probably not a good idea if you ever want to use the fireplace.

None of the existing tiles are broken but I think I will put up with them as it will be too much faffing about and a neat result is not guaranteed. It's just that they are yellow and green which doesn't fit in with new colours. I'll either paint them or leave them as they are. I need new hearth tiles so I can match them up at least. Thanks for your replies.

I realise this is an old thread, but I found it very useful. I'd really recommend tile stickers or decal for this job!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back