Replacing window locks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I would like to replace the locks on our double glazed windows with some more secure locking ones.

Is it possible to just unscrew and replace them? If so can any one tell me what kind of locks I need to buy?
There seems to be a wide choice. I guess I just need some that match the screw holes.

Here are the locks...
CIMG6074.JPG

Thanks
Alan

Sponsored Links
I see no lock.

That thing is a sort of cockspur catch.

You appear to have double-glazed aluminium windows.

Are you looking for a different style, or are some of them broken or worn out?

You would probably do better to get a separate small lock near the top and bottom, and leave your existing catch in place. You can get some catches with a built in cylinder to "lock" the handle but they are not much good and add nothing to the strength that holds the window shut when someone levers it with your garden spade or a screwdriver.

They can be locked using a tiny allen key. HOwever, some in the house just dont lock at all and they are very fiddley to lock.

We just want something more secure to reaplce these catches.

I'll probably end up replaceing all of them round the house, so a different style isnt a problem.

would these help?

8K100_LOCK.jpg

http://www.chubblocks.co.uk/howto_windows_frame.html

You may have room (check screw positions clear the glass) to use small locks sold for patio doors, these are very widely available at the sheds. The ones I use have a steel bolt that pops out until released with a small key. Mine came with an assortment of staples similar to the onesuppliedwith this bolt
SS-rola.jpg

so they could be adapted for most kinds of window. They were very cheap in a pack of a dozen or so.

p.s. also http://www.locksonline.co.uk/acatalog/Metal_Window_Locks_.html

Sponsored Links
here we are... the ones I found were similar style to this, but own-brand and fake brass finish.

PD-P114.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back