Replacing wooden joists with concrete

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking at installing under floor heating.

My builder has recommended to replace all of the floor joists under the living rooms x2 and hallway with concrete.

We have a crawl space under the house so there will be a lot of hardcore and concrete to fill. Probably the perimeter is about 1.3m deep x 5m wide x 6m length.

Is this the usual thing to do?

I'm concerned with the side effects of doing such work
- will it effect neighbors property?
- will it cause walls to move or become unstable?
- will it cause damp if there is no ventilation coming from under the house?
- any other pointers?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Your builder is recommending you pour over 30 sq meters of concrete to a depth of over 4ft under about half of your house to install UFH.... change your builder !

My builder has recommended to replace all of the floor joists under the living rooms x2 and hallway with concrete
You can’t do solid fill for that depth.

You could replace joists with bigger ones or sister existing ones then use a PUG / dry mix for your underfloor heating

or you could use aluminium platens

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies and details.

I should have mentioned, it wouldn't be just concrete - he mentioned there will be hardcore mot1, sand, membrane then insulation, concrete, UFH, screed, lvt

https://www.continal.co.uk/system/pug-dry-mix - this looks like a good find, thanks Notch7

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back