Repointing a chimey

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya

I'm in the process of buying my first house (mid terraced) and the survey stated that the house was in good nick considering the age, but that the chimney would need repointing.

A friend of the family recommended a builder to give us a quote... after a fair bit of chasing he has quoted me £2000 stating that it was expensive due to scaffolding hire (front & back)

This seems a little steep, but I've got no idea if this reasonable or not as I don't have much experience with such things.

Generally I like to have a bash at things myself, but don't think that my girlfriend would be happy with me climbing up the roof with a diy-manual in one hand.

Does anyone have any idea if two grand is a fair quote for this work? And would we really need full scaffolding on both sides of the house? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Craig

Sponsored Links
quote sounds a little steep. usually, scaffolding up one elevation only, with a ridge saddle covering both roof elevations.

Quote sounds steep to me as well....get another quote (preferably a couple more) - recommendations are usually better than sticking pins in the yellow pages but (as seems to be the case with your experience) it's not a hard and fast rule!!

You might call a couple of local scaffolders, I had scaff erected when restaining my windows, surprisingly inexpensive and much easier/safer/quicker than working off a ladder. My guy made most of the charge on erecting/taking down, hire of poles and boards was insignificant (but I bunged him a bit extra because i took longer than expected).

If you arrange the scaffolding, it becomes an easy job for any brickie to do.

Sponsored Links
do you have lead flashings or sand/cement haunching at roof tile- chimney abutments?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back