Repointing an old stone wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all,

Some help. I've got a a 4m high old stone wall that needs some cracks filling.

What should I use to do this? The current mortar is a off buff colour so need something to match.

Some where I read using lime mortar would work but apparently it's horrible stuff to work with.

As I'm not great with this kind of this a ready made mix would make life a lot easier. Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Lime is easy to use. If its an old wall, it would have been built using lime mortar. If you use a cement based mortar, it can cause the face of the stones to spall (flake off). To get the correct colour match , its just as hard with cement as with lime, its the sand that has causes the colour.
100 years ago your sand would have been local, so get a sample of the mortar and wander around the local builders yards to see if you can get a match. Using lime will make the mortar quite a bit lighter then the sand. Proper suppliers , like "the lime centre" will have a selection of sand and some advice on what to do.
Frank

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back