Repointing internal stonework

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning, this is my first post on here, so be kind!

We bought a cottage a few months ago which was renovated back in the 60s with a lot of plasterboard covering up the nice stonework.

The cottage was built around the 1850s so is mostly granite and stone built.

Now, in a couple weeks or so I will be ripping out all the plaster board (or most of anyway) from our front room. Mostly from the chimney breast. The plasterboard is covering up some lovely stonework on there!

My question is, how straightforward is it to repoint the stonework? Any links to online resources or tips for this at all?

Also, the front facing wall in our living room has been plasterboarded, but has lime plaster in underneath on top of what I can only describe as a mud layer. Can this be safely removed to reveal the stonework underneath?

Sponsored Links
Yes, you can safely remove all back to the raw stone. Post pics when you get there and then be advised on what if any pointing is necessary.

Remove all wood packings and fixings from the walls, dont leave any wood in the stone. But dont disturb the door or window frame surrounds without asking here.

Be alert to any signs of damp or fungus strands thro the walls or floors esp. at the chimney breast area.
All flues should be swept, smoke tested and vented.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back