Pipes/electrics under lime plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I'm in the process of re-modelling our kitchen. The house is 19th century with blue lias walls on the ground floor. The stonework has been re-pointed with cement everywhere and had cement plaster on the internal walls. There was a significant rising damp problem! I haven't figured out the exact details of the solution to that, but it will almost certainly involve lime plasterwork and I've got a couple of questions which I haven't been able to find obvious answers to...

I'm planning on chasing 15mm plastic pipe in conduit down the walls for a couple of radiators. How far into the wall do I need to go, or, conversely, how thick will the lime plaster be, and how far can I intrude into it? (Needless to say chasing the stone walls is a serious headache so I want to minimise that!)

Related to this, does anyone know of a way to get the 15mm plastic pipe out of the wall? Hep2O and Speedfit do back-box "outlet cover"s but these are only for 10mm pipe.

Also, I'm going to have to replace a number of rusted electrical back-boxes with plastic ones. How deep should the replacements be?

Thanks a lot for any help,
Adam

Sponsored Links
Bump.

Sorry if I'm asking stupid questions! If so, please point me in the right direction!

Adam

What you need to do is what ever you put in the wall, make it below the stone edge, thats what i would do. Then it dont matter how deep or thin your plaster is.

Take note of where everything is incase you decide to nail a picture up, or sorry should i say someone you may be married too, decides to hammer something in the wall.....

OK, thanks. I guess sinking them deep enough to be flush with the wall is my "back-up" option.

I was hoping to be able to save a few mm though. (I figured that people put cable & capping under plaster...)

Adam

Sponsored Links
The damp is probably down to the cement render. Remove it all and apply lime render.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back