Repointing - Mortar question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey folks,

New person here. Hope you're all keeping safe and well during these unusual times.

I thought I'd have a go learning & practicing repointing the brickwork in my garage as a little ongoing project. The joke is the guy who built it (old owner of the house) only had a 6 inch level when he put it up... I'm unsure though what sort of mortar mix I should be going for though. My understanding is the mix should match the exisiting mortar type, is that correct?

Any chance someone can help guide me to identify what would be best?

Here's the existing brickwork (external)

ANL5Fvd.jpg

And inside;

s3f4kAY.jpg

nnvpbSD.jpg

Thanks,
P

Sponsored Links
Hello,

When I'm patching up I use a 3:1 or 4:1 mix, however for re-pointing and a project it's probably better 4:1. You need to remove some of the old mix I believe.

Check out this website which I've found useful, should link to pointing brickwork and there's a YouTube video.

https://www.fixmyroof.co.uk/mix-cement-mortar/

That is a sharp sand mortar mix with grit in it. It should be rock hard.

Normally mortar is soft building sand, so you wont match it unless you get some similar sharp gritted sand - in which case you will have great difficulty pointing with it as it will just slide off your trowel onto the floor.

That is a sharp sand mortar mix with grit in it. It should be rock hard.

Normally mortar is soft building sand, so you wont match it unless you get some similar sharp gritted sand - in which case you will have great difficulty pointing with it as it will just slide off your trowel onto the floor.

Just the sort of observation I was looking for. Thanks woody, and yes, I think you're spot on - had a Openreach engineer around last year installing some new cable and he was complaining how impossible it was hammering cable pins into the mortar.

I'd still like to give repointing ago - just to learn and practice really. So I won't worry about matching and go for something more general.

Ta!

Sponsored Links
Look for a yellow sand then, or red building sand with a buff dye, or a mix of red building and plastering sand. Otherwise it will stand out quite a bit.

An once pointed and its started to dry, rub over it with a block of wood or lightly with a rolled up paper bad or cloth, and this will roughen the surface up. Then brush it.

we raked out and repointed with sharp sand and hydralic lime which wasn't too bad to apply, this was on a decorative section of wall under the bay window with ridiculously soft bricks. It produced a very light colour mortar though, but we painted after anyway.

Nice looking piece of bag rubbed brickwork. Are they Tumbled bricks?
I've noticed that churches always seem to use a flush joint.

Given you’re painting it, and it only looks like a few small gaps that need filling, I doubt the “matching existing mortar type” matters.

Hey folks,

Got the raking point on the grinder sorted. Works great. Nearly all set to do some repointing, just one last thing to sort out, the mortar!

For a first timer, is it worth using a pre-mix mortar like this, or, is it better to make from scratch?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back