repointing redge tiles - advice required

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I lost a few ridge tiles a while back which were replaced by my house insurance however now the pointing around them is breaking up and falling off. The pointing thats falling off is only about 3mm thick and it looks to me as though when they've replaced the ridge tiles they've only put a thin skim of mortar over the old pointing.

I'm thinking about repointing it myself and need some advice, please be gently with me as I'm new to this roofing business. :)

The original pointing has a redish colour to it - if i use a 3:1 sand:cement mortar how do I achieve a similar colour to the original pointing?

Is it as simple as removing all loose pointing and then repointing with the above mortar?

Am I likely to encounter problems with "drying out" and if so how do I avoid them.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Baz

Sponsored Links
The original pointing has a redish colour to it - if i use a 3:1 sand:cement mortar how do I achieve a similar colour to the original pointing?
you can buy additives that actually dye the mix even the sheds sell it. but try a builders merchant its cheaper.

(4:08 am posting time... cant sleep cos of the worry? :p

if you point over existing pointing its gonna fail and fall out eventually,probably next winter. take the ridge tiles off and re-bed them on a bed of 4 to 1 mortar mix.

If you are new to roofing, the best advice is to leave it alone.

Roofing is a dangerous and risky business without the proper equipment and training.

Sponsored Links
if you buy the dye

REMEMBER

that it will dry a diffrent shade than you put it on, so mix a couple batches first to try out till desired colour is found letting it set on a board or something.

AND REMEMBER

keep measurements totaly exact to keep the desired shade.

but then like the fellow above said let a roofer do it

please note 9

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back