reporting to HSE for small incidents?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A builder dropped a hammer that broke something in the neighbours garden by accident. The neighbour is now demanding that the incident should be reported to HSE. Is this reportable?

Sponsored Links
I'd say no, because it's not an accident that involved anyone being injured.

It's just an accident and the builder should recompense the neighbour for the damage.

A builder dropped a hammer that broke something in the neighbours garden by accident. The neighbour is now demanding that the incident should be reported to HSE. Is this reportable?
Did they say what they are reporting?

This tells you what, and when, should be reported to HSE.

If every little thing was reported they would be inundated with far too many minor incidents.

Sponsored Links
Did they say what they are reporting?

I believe they are wanting it reported that a hammer fell and damaged a paving slab but could have killed her or family (they were inside at the time).

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Did the builder fess up, apologise, be upfront about repairing the damage etc without prompting? Or .... ?

Off a scaffold?
that is pretty dangerous and a reason why you should always wear a hard hat on a site with scaffolding.

it might be something that should have been covered under CDM 2015 regulations.

Who is the principal contractor, who completed the risk assessment in the pre construction phase.

Off a scaffold?
that is pretty dangerous and a reason why you should always wear a hard hat on a site with scaffolding.

it might be something that should have been covered under CDM 2015 regulations.

Who is the principal contractor, who completed the risk assessment in the pre construction phase.

Not from scaffolding. From a single storey flat roof height. Approx 2.5 metres high.

If the builder employs more than 10 persons he must by law maintain an accident book. In my experience its worth maintaining an accident book no matter how many people you employ.

The builder could record details of the incident, the action taken and offer to put right the damage. Give your neighbour a copy and let them rant away. There are lots of templates available online or you can buy from HSE or even Amazon.

As already shown there is no legal requirement to report the incident to the HSE.

Am I the only person who thinks this sounds like the neighbour is trying to stop the work being completed?

If the hammer had landed on someone’s head it could have been bad. Could it be reportable as a 'near miss'? If the neighbour is that concerned, they could always phone HSE for advice.

Am I the only person who thinks this sounds like the neighbour is trying to stop the work being completed?
definitely feels like it. They probably should have objected in planning permission stage if they had issues :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Back