Repositioning window for extension under construction

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I am currently in the process of having an extension built and had been really happy with progress until now and really need some advice here.

A few days ago, I noticed that the window in the rear extension was a bit low so I asked for this to be repositioned. The builder I have chosen has done the majority of the work other than the brickwork which was done by a subcontractor he often works with. Anyway, the builder said that he would be able to cover this task without the need of the bricklayers who did the original work. I've had a closer inspection of this and noticed that he cut out the block work and used bricks as part of the repositioning. Upon closer inspection now, it looks like this has been stack bonded with the concrete lintel sitting on top (see attached picture). Should I be concerned here? Is there any risk of this brickwork cracking and causing an issue with the wall or surrounding parts of the window?

The work is covered in a small space but I am just worried that the concrete lintel is causing a lot of stress on the red bricks below. I just wish I insisted on him getting the brick layer back out now but I was assured by my builder that this was a fairly straightforward task. I am tempted to insist on resolving this but if the feeling is that there won't be a problem, then I will just leave it as is.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG-20220803-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20220803-WA0001.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 88
Sponsored Links
Thanks for your input Woody, the main thing for me is that i dont end up with cracks in the brickwork.

Yes, when compared to what the brick layers work, I could immediately tell the difference in quality.

Sponsored Links
That was due to the builder measuring an existing window in the living room from the bottom up, not taking into account that the existing living room window is actually taller, he really should have looked at the architects drawings. It was not until the flooring was levelled up I realised the issue.

To be fair though, apart from this, he's been great and he did agree in the end that he got his calculations wrong and that we did the right thing in repositioning the window.

Are those.proper cavity batts?
I confess that I am a novice in all this building stuff, but I took pictures on a regular basis and I do know that the insulation used throughout was "knauf insulation cavity slab 37".

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back