REQ: Schematic or Photo of Protherm 80e PCB

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm trying to identify a resistor on a Protherm 80e Control Unit. The resistor is at R34.

I've shown the faulty PCB to our electronics engineer at work and he is able to replace the blown component as long as I can identify it (it's un-identifiable).

I don't want to replace the whole board without first trying to replace the resistor.

Has anyone got the same boiler or have a good quality photo or schematic for this PCB? The part number is: 0020025202 (Protherm Control board ST6-8)

Many thanks,
Darren

Sponsored Links
Hmmm, the clue is...its got a bit scorch mark near it and it says r34 close by.

Its knackered, you need a new board :rolleyes:

I know it's the R34 that's toast - Was hoping to test whether or not it's just the resistor that's failed, rather than the whole board which costs between £140-£230.

If I swapped the resistor and it worked, then I'd quickly take out a service contract. Bit cheeky I know, but it's something I wish I'd taken out last year when the pump and divertor valve went. I was stunk for a £500+ repair bill back then (Should have got a new boiler :oops: )

Sponsored Links
You dont just replace an overheated resistor! They dont just suddenly overheat!

Something has caused the resistor to be come overloaded and you need to identify WHAT has overloaded it.

You might be able to trace the circuit to see what it is connected to. They often put a 100 ohm resistor in series with parts like fans and gas valves so that if parts fail the resistor blows and removes power from the faulty part.

Just buying a new board might just blow the new one if its an external part which is faulty. Alternatively it might be another on board component which has failed in which case a new PCB will effect the cure.

I would have thought the electronics engineer would have explained that to you!

Tony

Yes, the engineer did say it would probably blow again - But I was hoping for a temp fix in order to get a service contract started. It's another reason why I don't want to buy a new board in case it blew that also.

Looks like I'm going to have to call in British Gas and stump up a £168 one off repair.

Thanks anyway.

Yes, the engineer did say it would probably blow again - But I was hoping for a temp fix in order to get a service contract started

Thats fraud :rolleyes: And dangerous :rolleyes:

Looks like I'm going to have to call in British Gas and stump up a £168 one off repair

Ohh imagine having to pay for your boiler fixing...a disgrace int it :rolleyes:

Ohh imagine having to pay for your boiler fixing...a disgrace int it :rolleyes:

It is a disgrace - Being charged well over £500 for a pump and a divertor valve just before Christmas :evil:

£55 for first hour, £35 every 30mins. 3 hours to figure out it needed a new pump. "Oh, ain't got one on my van, will have to come back tomorrow". Spent 4 hours to fit it and then said a new divertor valve was needed - Another day, another £35 per 30 mins.

Then after paying up, the engineer had the cheek to laugh and say, for a couple hundred more I could have had a new boiler. (I KNOW THAT!! :evil: )

I've now gone and signed up with British Gas - £27 for first 12 months, dropping to £17. This includes repair to current fault which he's coming out to fix this afternoon.

Thanks

Hi,

I'm trying to identify a resistor on a Protherm 80e Control Unit. The resistor is at R34.

I've shown the faulty PCB to our electronics engineer at work and he is able to replace the blown component as long as I can identify it (it's un-identifiable).
As an Electronics Engineer he should be able to:

1. Identify Resistors
and
2. Run a Test on them with his Multimeter (I assume he has got one :rolleyes: ), to identify which one is blown.

1. Identify Resistors
and
2. Run a Test on them with his Multimeter (I assume he has got one :rolleyes: ), to identify which one is blown.

You can't identify the value of a resistor that has unidentifiable colours on it, and a multimeter won't tell you the value either after it's damaged! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

And sometimes, just replacing blown resistors can effect a repair.
replacing it can also allow the engineer to identify further faults & repair them.

There is nothing mysterious about a circuit board, they can easily be repaired if you have the right information & knowledge to do it.

I have successfully repaired my boilers PCB's several times (design fault).

Most likely the reason for the OP asking the question in the first place.

You can't identify the value of a resistor that has unidentifiable colours on it, and a multimeter won't tell you the value either after it's damaged! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

DOH! Should have looked at the flaming photo first!!

Sorry guys... carry on!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back