requiements to replace a shower on exixting wires

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Back in 2007 I replaced an old Mira Shower with an Essentials Mira Shower on the existing wire work. The shower is rated at 9.5kw the same as the old one and is on 10mm twin and earth cable. As the installation was carried out post 2005 when the new regs came into effect. Is this allowable? The old consumer unit has a 40A MCB and no RCD component. What would you advise as I am thinking of putting my house up for sale and have been made aware of the questions that may be asked about electrical changes and certificates of conformity. Any Ideas on this one? I am not an electrician or a registered competent person, but have passed the P.A.T. component of the. ( In-service Inspection and testing of Electrical Equipment ) at C&G level back in 2003.
Regards.
Rumple.

Sponsored Links
Having an RCD will be a requirement from the makers of the new shower and is a requirement of the Wiring Regualtions.

So you'll need to get an RCD installed on the shower circuit, tested and a minor works cert issued for it. Your buyer's solicitor will expect to see that.

Your 10-year old PAT qualification would not give you any sort of competence to carry this out, and you probably don't have an RCD tester (?).

Back then, and even now, any electrical work in a bathroom is notifiable. So you should get a Registered Electrician to do this for you and to tidy up the paperwork in case your buyer asks ;) [/quote]

I would read through the manufacturers instruction of the shower fitted in 2007 and see if they state the requirement of RCD protection!
If not, you do not need to provide this, as I recall this was not a requirement at that time!
Replacing an electric shower is not know or in 2007 notifiable, any new cabling/circuit work would be, but not replacing an existing appliance.

Sponsored Links
The old consumer unit has a 40A MCB and no RCD component.
While that does not comply now, this does not mean you must instantly rush to replace the CU or do anything else with it.

What would you advise as I am thinking of putting my house up for sale and have been made aware of the questions that may be asked about electrical changes and certificates of conformity.
Do nothing at all. If questions are asked, you complete them with the usual answers - do not know / no documents available / caveat emptor.

It certainly won't make any difference to any sale - buyers won't run away just because an electric shower hasn't got an RCD.
As for notification - replacement of a shower is not notifiable now and wasn't then. Even if it had been, no one will care, and exactly how do you imagine they would know it had been replaced on a certain date?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back