Electric shower question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would to replace my faulty six year old Triton Opal 10.5 kW electric shower, which is proving a real pain because the PCB needs replacing every 3 years. My choice of alternative is a Mira Jump electric shower (which can accommodate the different 'handedness' between Triton and Mira showers). My consumer unit (also 6 yr old) is 80A. Will it be possible to operate the 10.8 kW model of the Mira Jump (the nearest power range to my present shower) or should I play safe and 'downgrade to a 9.6 kW model? The cumsumer unit and all the wiring to the shower etc are 6 year old.

Thanks

Smithy :confused:

Sponsored Links
What size MCB is feeding the shower?
What size cable is feeding the shower?
Do you have RCD protection for the shower circuit?
Is the shower cable ran in any insulation?

What size MCB is feeding the shower?
What size cable is feeding the shower?
Do you have RCD protection for the shower circuit?
Is the shower cable ran in any insulation?

Thanks for replying, John, but sorry, I don't understand your questions. What is an MCB? Where do I find the feed cable (the whole bathroom is tiled). What is RCD? Its all beyond me, I'm afraid :cry:

An MCB is the equivalent of a fuse, an item in the consumer unit about 20mm wide and with a scitch on it. It will say B32 B40 or B50 on it amongst other things.

An RCD is twice the width and has a switch and a test button on it, it should have 30mA or 0.03A written on it amongst other things.

The cable will be in the shower and at the pull cord and the consumer unit, along it's run it will prob be going under floors, through walls and through the attic.

Perhaps it would be best to get an electrician in to check all of these things if it's beyond you?

Sponsored Links
An MCB is the equivalent of a fuse, an item in the consumer unit about 20mm wide and with a scitch on it. It will say B32 B40 or B50 on it amongst other things.

An RCD is twice the width and has a switch and a test button on it, it should have 30mA or 0.03A written on it amongst other things.

The cable will be in the shower and at the pull cord and the consumer unit, along it's run it will prob be going under floors, through walls and through the attic.

Perhaps it would be best to get an electrician in to check all of these things if it's beyond you?

Dear 1John

Thanks for your helpful answers. What a BoBo I am! OK, I can tell you the answers to the first two questions. The shower fuse is NSB40 and the RCD is 30 A (it also has 80A embossed on it). I couldn't see beyond the pull switch to check the cable as its all tied up and through the ceiling.

The original shower was installed by a professional electrician and plumber. I do intend to get a professional plumber to fit the fit the new one but he has asked me to tell him what new model I want. Hence my question re the 9.5kW or the 10.8 kW.

Thanks again for your time on this. Very much appreciated. I'm learning all the time.

:)

Should be ok for the 10.8kW unit although it is stretching the breaker, that being said, so was the old shower.

MI state 45Amp MCB for 10.8kw shower - (although at 230v its only 9.9kw)

Also need to ensure that 10mm cable is fitted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back