Require info for installation of electrics to my new worksho

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have contacted 4 electricians and got sod all back! It seems they want all the work or nothing, which is ****ing me off! I have the wiring already done in the workshop, all it needs is joining up to the consumer unit. I have rewired houses etc so am not new to dealing with electricity. What I am not sure about is what I would need to do the work myself as that is now the only option I have left. I have a buried armoured cable from the house to the new workshop. I have no spare ways in my existing consumer unit. So I would need to add a unit in the garage and then install a four way unit in the workshop. Its only for DIY and nothing that needs heavy usage off electricity. Juts put an RCD with two 20amp mcb's and two 6amp mcb's at the workshop end. What my question is - what unit would I put into the garage and details. What RCD for the consumer unit would be needed in the workshop?

Looking forward to hearing your answers

Thanks for reading

Tony

Sponsored Links
Hi, I have contacted 4 electricians and got s** all back! It seems they want all the work or nothing, which is p******g me off!
That's the way the law and the regulations work, you should have looked into all of that before you started.

I have the wiring already done in the workshop, all it needs is joining up to the consumer unit.
Reputable electricians are, rightly, reluctant to take responsibility for someone elses work, the law does not allow them to certify to the council that they did it, and the Wiring Regulations do not allow them to issue a comprehensive EIC for it.

I have rewired houses etc so am not new to dealing with electricity.
But do you actually know what you should know? Plenty of people are "not new to dealing with electricity" but are lacking knowledge of all sorts of things they should not be.

What I am not sure about is what I would need to do the work myself as that is now the only option I have left.
You should have notified LABC before you started, and applied for approval.

I have a buried armoured cable from the house to the new workshop. I have no spare ways in my existing consumer unit. So I would need to add a unit in the garage and then install a four way unit in the workshop. Its only for DIY and nothing that needs heavy usage off electricity. Juts put an RCD with two 20amp mcb's and two 6amp mcb's at the workshop end. What my question is - what unit would I put into the garage and details. What RCD for the consumer unit would be needed in the workshop?

Mmm not what I wanted to hear. I am living on very little money and don't want to fill others pockets. I am competent, but not sure on what is needed. I have already put the wiring in, I am sure not going to take all of out. If not I shall just take a good guess and do it anyway

Sponsored Links
How were you planning to connect the armoured cable to the supply?[/quote]

That is where I needed the electrician. I shall ignore the other comments, which is not needed. I live on over 300mg morphine a day. The workshop is to allow me to do things; even if its for just 10 minutes. It will just give me a focus in life and stop me from thinking of suicide as my pain levels are beyond comprehension. Although when I do, do a job its to a good quality. Before the new damn laws I had rewired two houses. My last house in West Wales an electrician had to do some work commented on my quality of installation. It doesn't need a huge amount of intelligence to put live, earth and neutral in the right places. As I have said to all the electricians I contacted they can simply examine my work before they connect and do what they need to. It is done to what they would like to have. I am allowed to wire cables, not allowed to connect to the consumer unit etc. Sorry not good english, too much morphine already. I can't understand why people have to be greedy and not work with their clients. They still get paid work. Although we don't work in an altruistic world, it is all greed and nothing else. What a damn shame.

I need the workshop fixing as my life can't be fixed. Ah well maybe there is an easier root out of life rather than all this damn red tape. We are swamped with it all

Tony, using words like "greedy" about people who are trying to earn a living won't make you any friends here. I'm surprised that out of four sparks you contacted none of them would even consider the job - I'd have at least come round for a look at what you'd done.

You say you've already laid the armoured; a recent customer of mine was the same, but he'd laid 4mm armoured. Luckily it was adequate for what he wanted to do, but I'd have put in something bigger myself, if only to allow for changing uses in the future. And Mr Customer certainly hadn't considered voltage drop ...

Another customer wants me to do the connections after he's done the donkey work - fine by me. Fortunately has showed me the armoured he planned to lay in, and it was only 1.5mm which was well under spec for what he wanted to do.

So out of interest, what size armoured have you put in?

PJ

Yep, calling us greedy won't help.
You didn't say anything wrong to them did you?

Well I suppose what you need, is to do it all in a way, where you are not asking electricians to do something they should not be doing.

So ask for say a 32A socket to be fitted, very close to where the supply for workshop is required, then after the electrician leaves swap it for a junction box, and connect the workshop.

You must remember this is the electricians lively hood, and what you are doing is asking him to do something, which if court doing will result in him not being able to trade. Your not really being very fair to them are you?

I shall ignore the other comments, which is not needed.
They may not be what you think you needed, but prior to this there had not been one single comment which you could even remotely object to on a reasonable basis, and I challenge you to show otherwise.

That you had not got the replies which you thought you wanted is your fault, nobody elses.

I live on over 300mg morphine a day. The workshop is to allow me to do things; even if its for just 10 minutes. It will just give me a focus in life and stop me from thinking of suicide as my pain levels are beyond comprehension.
No amount of sympathy, no matter how heartfelt and genuine, makes any difference to the legal and regulatory framework in which electricians operate and electrical installation work is governed.

Although when I do, do a job its to a good quality. Before the new damn laws I had rewired two houses. My last house in West Wales an electrician had to do some work commented on my quality of installation. It doesn't need a huge amount of intelligence to put live, earth and neutral in the right places.
And there you've shot yourself in the foot.

There is far more to it than putting live, earth and neutral in the right places. You have to size cables to carry the current needed given their capacity as derated by the installation method. You have to route them in the right places. You have to take account of voltage drop and earth fault loop impedance.

And you have to test. When you rewired those houses, did you know what tests you should have carried out on the installations - what sequence you'd do them in and at what point you would energise them, and for each test did you know what was being measured, why it was important, how you would carry out the test, and with what equipment, and what sort of results you would expect to get if everything was OK?

Did you do those tests?

The thing is, rewiring a house, installing new CUs, outside supplies, submains etc is not a trivial job, and I can assure you that it involves knowing far more than you think it does.

As I have said to all the electricians I contacted they can simply examine my work before they connect and do what they need to. It is done to what they would like to have.
If you want an electrician involved then you needed to involve him before you started, and to be directed and supervised by him in the same way that an apprentice would.

I am allowed to wire cables, not allowed to connect to the consumer unit etc.
Actually you are allowed to do anything and everything, you just have to be competent, but given your simplistic claims here I don't think you are.

Sorry not good english, too much morphine already.
With as much due sympathy for your medical condition as you would like, does your need for strong narcotics render you unfit to carry out electrical design, installation and testing?

I can't understand why people have to be greedy and not work with their clients. They still get paid work. Although we don't work in an altruistic world, it is all greed and nothing else. What a damn shame.
It's not greed.

How can you reasonably expect someone to sign this declaration:

FOR DESIGN, CONSTRUCTION, INSPECTION & TESTING
I being the person responsible for the design, construction, inspection & testing of the electrical installation (as indicated by my signature below), particulars of which are described above, having exercised reasonable skill and care when carrying out the design, construction, inspection & testing hereby CERTIFY that the said work for which I have been responsible is to the best of my knowledge and belief in accordance with BS 7671:2008, amended to ............. (date) except for the departures, if any, detailed as follows:

if they didn't actually do that?

How can you reasonably expect anybody to certify to Building Control that the work they did complied with the Building Regulations if they didn't do it?

I need the workshop fixing as my life can't be fixed. Ah well maybe there is an easier root out of life rather than all this damn red tape. We are swamped with it all
However you regard the current "red tape", the facts remain that you almost certainly did not do your previous rewires properly, and you have an unrealistic expectation of what electricians may do.

I also live using lots of pain killers I so I will excuse your rudeness as I understand it is part of living with pain.

However much I want to carry on working as an electrician I know I am now limited in what I can do. I can however still inspect and test and that is the biggest part.

We all make mistakes even when not using pain killers and filling in the forms and taking the readings hopefully highlights those errors. The problem is the test equipment is expensive.

Without some design knowledge it is also easy to make errors. Although when one does a lot of electrical work you do get a feel for what will likely pass. I have found where equipment has failed purely because the loop impedance was too high. A shrink wrap machine comes to mind. So with a workshop you may need cables larger than required for the current carrying capacity to both prevent volt drop and ensure safety. Some RCD's will fail under fault conditions due to volt drop. The testing is required it is not just a paperwork exercise.

As I have tried to say I am sure an electrician can help. But it must be in a way where he will not be blamed after for errors you may have made. Asking for a socket to be installed able to supply the amps you require would clearly mean you have a supply you can then use. Also when complete asking for an "Electrical Installation Condition Report" will highlight most faults if any.

Using the LABC you can DIY but that is an expensive route. Also you have to show your able to do the work. I know short temper is all part of pain but show that to inspector or electrician very likely they will turn their back and walk away. May be better to get a friend to deal with them who can use some diplomacy and not put their backs up.

Maybe even get that friend to ask questions on here. There are some very helpful guys but they will not put up with rude comments.

TP+

I'm a bit confused!

You say you have laid a cable from the workshop to the house.

Then you say you need to install a unit in the garage and one in the 'shop.

Am I missing something?

Or are you tapping a submain off another submain?

Mmm not what I wanted to hear. I am living on very little money and don't want to fill others pockets. I am competent, but not sure on what is needed. I have already put the wiring in, I am sure not going to take all of out. If not I shall just take a good guess and do it anyway

Mmmm competent but not sure whats needed hence your not competent

To be competent you need to know what to do

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back