Required reading for DIY electrical work

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been perusing BS7671, and it contains a lot of useful information, however it misses a few things which are perhaps learnt by experience. For instance, for T&E there's a difference in derating depending on where in the stud wall it runs (against the plasterboard or in the insulation). It's unclear if I take cables through a stud wall how I should attach them. I obviously won't be hammering a cable clip into the plasterboard (do I leave the cable loose in this situation, pressed against the wall by the insulation?). I have a whole bunch of questions like that, way too many to ask on a forum, perhaps more to do with 'normal practice' than the regulations themselves.

I haven't read BS7671 cover-to-cover yet, but in any case it hardly seems the best way to learn, and contains a lot of information not relevant to house wiring (swimming pools, saunas, operating rooms, 3-phase and so on).

So I'm looking for recommended reading materials, with focus on domestic. I just ordered the site guide, and am hoping that has a few more pictures than the wiring regs! Any other books I should look at? I'd also like to know some of theory behind the numbers in some of the tables, e.g. why do RCB disconnection times, vary between the different earthing systems and so on...

regards,
Simon.

Sponsored Links
Hi,
I'm in the same position and I've bought "Practical Guide to Inspection, Testing and Certification of Electrical Installations" as well as the regs.

My premis is that if you can satisfy the installation and testing then your installation should be OK. Obviously common sense should prevail.

I'm also looking for other books. I really want to learn everything I need to do it properly and safely.

Lukily in my area (Newbury, Berks) it's £297 for Building Control to inspect and test DIY installations which is a lot cheaper than using a electrician to do the lot when a lot of the work is pulling cables.

Cheers

The On Site guide has practical stuff like cable clip spacing so is more practical than the BGB.

The Electrician's guide to the Building Regulations has some essential stuff as does Brian Scaddan's "Electrical Installation Work"

BS7671 basically tells you what needs to be achieved, not how to achieve it! The on site guide or electricians guide to the building regs have more info in how to achieve it.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back