diy electrics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have recently done a rewire of my kitchen and would just like to clarify a couple of points.
1) the cables are routed vertically from there sockets except in a couple of places where i have run them horizontally, is it ok to run horizontal (this was a spur and a light switch) or does it have to be all vertical.
2) the cables are run behind plasterboard and held in place against a solid wall with clips. do the cables have to be in conduit or is it ok to have them just covered by the plasterboard. if they have to be in conduit what sort because i will have to channel into the wall which seems like a lot of work as there are quite alot of cables.
3) i have a cable running behind plasterboard and when fitted 13mm splash back, but this is directly in front of the hob.
i cant see any heat passing through from the hob but are there any regs against this

thanks in anticipation of your responses.

Sponsored Links
plasterboard is no defence against a cable.
cables should be protected by 'capping' available at most electrical retailers for a couple of quid per 2mtr length. plastic round or oval conduit should be okay but unnessessary. conduit will also make your wall need to be thicker,will work out more costly too due to the need for possible junction boxes if requires and saddles to hold it all up!
Cables will be fine behind hob as under normal conditions your wall itself would not reach excessive temps.

paul1972 said:

Neither is capping, Paul!

Especially the plastic variety...What protection do you think plastic capping offers cable, over plasterboard?

Capping is there only to protect the cable from the plasterer's tools. It does not provide mechanical protection. Only earthed steel conduit can do that.

AFAICT, the regs do not disallow cable being buried direct into building materials.

paul1972 said:

if the cable is routed vertically, then there is no requirement for mechenical protection. it meets the requiremants of bs7671.

cables should be protected by 'capping'

only required for protection against plastering tools. in this case, its not applicable as the cables are already protected by the plasterboard.

Sponsored Links
rexters said:
if they have to be in conduit what sort because i will have to channel into the wall which seems like a lot of work as there are quite alot of cables.
Why are there quite a lot of cables?

Would there have been quite a lot less if you'd run them all horizontally from one socket to the next?

Sorry,
retraining and relearning all rules and regs after 14 year absence.
Really am qualified to 15th ed through time served apprentiship. Reading 16th ed at night but given the size its gonna take a bit of time.

ban-all-sheds said:
Would there have been quite a lot less if you'd run them all horizontally from one socket to the next?

yum yum, ideal in a kitchen.

Show him "socketwall"

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back