Reroofing car port with PVC - what order to do things?!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, I have had a search of this forum but can't find an exact answer to my question...

My car port took a hammering in the recent gales. The PVC was old and brittle so I am hardly surprised it got damaged. As you can see I have also taken the opportunity to lengthen the frame to make the car port a bit larger.

carport.jpeg

I am not very impressed with the flashing job that was done here, so for the new roof I have bought a flashing kit as shown below, with the intention of using flashband for the final seal.

flashing.jpeg

My question is how I should lay the roof. Ideally I would lay all the new sheeting and fix it to the frame, then add the flashing kit, and finally a single run of flashband to seal it.
However I am worried that the PVC won't take my weight to do it this way, even if i put a board on it?
Alternatively I could try to flash it before, then lay the sheet under the flashing kit, but this sounds risky and a bit of a bodge.

I'm sure i'm turning a small job into a big job here, but how would you guys go about this? I have spent a fair bit on materials and want it to look good, so just want to make sure I set off on the right foot.

Car port is approx 5m long and 2.6m wide. Highest point is 2.5m above the ground.

Can anybody show me the way forward please, all help much appreciated :)

Sponsored Links
Why don’t you do away with that nasty corrugated shyte and get yourself some 16mm poly with timber supported bars, piece of cake to fit you’ve got lovely supports and it will look really nice. Probably £400 in materials excluding your lead, you can walk on it (the bars bit) and if a tile falls off the roof it will just bounce off rather than go through and hit your motor.

Thanks mate, after reading your reply and googling it, i wish i had done it that way! But i have already bought new heavy duty corrugated PVC and cut it to size.

Do you have any ideas for doing it with the materials I have?

You can fit the top end after each sheet so you can reach over without putting any weight on the roof.

Sponsored Links
You can't get on that roof unless you are a pigeon!
so you will have to flash one sheet at a time as you work your way along. Make sure the first sheet is square before you fix it down otherwise there will be tears later on.

Thanks for all your help guys, I was overthinking it.

In the end it was not a problem laying a sheet, then flashing it one at a time. And I got all the access I needed from ladders and steps. The flashband worked well and I did it in one long run, but a meter at a time as I did each sheet.

carport2.jpeg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back