Reroofing questions

£12k? Presumably that was for genuine Welsh slate (or maybe Spanish) or is he replacing all the rafters and purlins wiith rainforest for that? There's a bunch round here been leafleting £3k for strip, refelt, bonding gutters, new battens, fibre cement slates & dry ridge. Suspect they'll make a load on salvaging the old slates (not a realistic option on yours if they're covered in goo). Unless you're in a national park or something you'd be mad going for real slate- yes it looks beautiful but it costs between 6 and 12 times what mock slate costs. Especially if you're going to flog the place.

Sponsored Links
Yes that was all new with Welsh slate.
Its not conservation or park or anything (as far as I'm aware)
I'm hoping it may be possible to save enough of the slates for the small kitchen roof and maybe the front porch over the bay window.

Speaking to a few builders and roofers down this way and non of them seem to rate the fake slates.
Also if its only a couple of thousand extra I personally would prefer a roof with a 50 year+ life expectancy rather that 25 year+.

I'm always open to ideas and advice though.

I will get the number off my father in law he's had two roofs done by this guy and I have seen both jobs and their very tidy.
As for the slates fibre cement are crap compared to decent slate, and there is decent slate out there cheaper than welsh, but there is also some dross out there full of pyrites that will rust through.

Horses for courses. Depends how much you'll be paying out for labour and access (scaff mainly)- as I said earlier, real slate is much prettier than fibre cement but a lot more expensive and harder to fit right (something to consider if you're going to DIY and not done much roofing before). Good luck :)

Sponsored Links
I will look into it some more when the time comes but I would always prefer to pay a little more for a better job/longer lasting product.

The only problem is the house being so far away from me really. I have 2 good roofer friends down here so I will try to rope them in first.
I have done a little roofing, Been doing fascias and soffits for years and done a few flat roofs, a large loft dorma and tons of conservatory roofs. I have generally avoided slate but it looks like its time to learn that too.

Thanks guys

decent Spanish slates to look out for are polaris prestige GM or GM prime they are about a quarter the price of welsh but are a lovely thin slate like welsh and very uniform in thickness, no pyrites and guaranteed 75 years I use them all the time now the prestige is a slightly lighter blue slate and the prime a more traditional darker slate. both around £1.10+VAT

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back