Reroofing questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello guys

I posted this on the roofing section a few days ago but had no reply's, Maybe this was the better place to ask.

I'm usually helping out on the window forum but may need some info on an upcoming project.
I'm a pretty good all rounder and as well as having a window company I have bought, Renovated and sold several houses including a loft conversion on a bungalow but I havent completely stripped a roof before. I will likely be getting in expert help but have some questions.

It looks like I will be inheriting 50% of a house in Wales and am considering buying the other 50% to fix up and rent or sell.
I will post pics at a later date when things progress legally speaking.

The roof has been leaking for years by the looks of it with a fair bit of damage inside.
The roof is old slate original to the house and probably 100 years+ old.
It has been bitumined over the top.
Its a terrace house with rear shared gable type extension (original to the house I think).
The rafters are 3x2's !
The main cause of the leaks are in my opinion because the 2 neighbors have changed their roofs to concrete tiles but have bodged the joins with cement and there have been attempts to flashband over the joins. Although I think there are other leaks too.

Basically the whole roof will need redoing. Stripping, Bonding gutters, felt and new tiles.

So having a read anything more than 50% replacement will need building regs and insulation adding.

Questions:
1. Will I need partywall acts for the 2 bonding gutters that will be needed? and should I try to get neighbors to contribute to the costs.
2. Will I need party wall act to remove/replace the ridge tiles on the shared gable roof extension part or can you keep them in place while reroofing?.
3. What will building control want in the way of insulation especially considering the rafters are only 3x2's. I think the insulation regs in Wales are a little more stringent.

4. This one is risqué!
Any way around the building regs/insulation?
Could I do 50% then a week or month later do the other 50%?

Basically its a pretty large roof with several aspects, valleys and chimneys. The house values are not great so adding thousands of £ of insulation and labor could make the whole job a no go especially considering all the internal work that will need doing.

Sponsored Links
The PWA does not apply to roofing, out this type of work.

If you change the tiles you will need to assess the suitability of the rafters. If you replace like for like, then not.

You don't need to apply for building regulations for the actual re-roofing, but you do need to apply for the council to check that you install insulation to current standards. That's all they will check.

The requirement is that you "consider" improving the insulation, but you can take into account the cost and playback time, and the practicalities of fitting the insulation. If you can't do the work to the required standard, then you can do it as best as possible.

Good things to hear, Thank Woody

I was just going off what I had read here and on the planning portal.

I thought if you expose the party wall (which surely I would need to do for bonding gutters?) then I would need it. To be honest as the neighbors have done such bodge jobs that caused the leaks my uncle must have lived with for years I wasn't going to bother but I just want to arm myself with facts encase anyone turns up during the work.

I'm sure I read that the insulation would have to be fitted at rafter level? 50-100 sheets of celetex type insulation and all the additional labor are going to cost some serious money. If I could just add 170-200mm of rockwool to the ceilings that would be much easier and cheaper obviously. Dont suppose you could point me to a page or link I can print out? Again ammunition for unexpected visits.

Here is a pic as I think it will be helpful
Untitled_zpsyzptqwzr.png

Sponsored Links
I think you only want insulation at rafter level if your having the loft as a room, otherwise you want it on the loft floor.

I haven't seen any bats (and never will, Its quite dark up there you know lol)

There are no big holes that animals could get through, Its mainly been leaking on that right hand roof join. All the wallpaper and plaster are coming off the the joining wall on both floors.
There also used to be a double chimney stack on that side that has been dismantled down to below roof level.

So by the sounds of it as long as I use slate or something of a similar weight I wont need building control but I will need to top up the ceiling insulation by 200mm or so.

Don't put concrete tiles on whatever you do- fibre cement slates don't look quite as pretty as real slates but they're cheap, light, dead easy to fit and you won't get baggy rafters (like your neighbour on the right). Insulation- as others, unless you're creating a room then rockwool on the loft floor will be fine.

Its not a loft conversion just repairs to an existing roof. I'm sure when I looked a couple of month ago it said you can do 50% without building regs, Now it says 25%

The approved docs (from 2010) mention 50% and 25%- 50% of the surface of the individual element or 25% of the total building element. And then there's some definitions of element :). If you have several roof faces then each face could be considered as an individual element.....

Doesn't matter- your scheme is notifiable (only because of the requirement to improve thermal performance). Are you eligible for any of the free insulation schemes- if you are then get it done then stick in a building notice, strip and reslate/refelt, get BCO in to measure the depth of the insulation and that's all they'll be interested in. The fee will be annoying but (if you're going to sell) it gives a piece of paper to wave at solicitors, if you're renting out it'll give you evidence for EPC.

as has been said put mineral wool in at ceiling tie level and all's good. Definitely don't go with concrete tiles on those rafters.
Whereabouts is the property, might be able to put you in touch with a decent roofer, if down South Cardiff/Newport area

Cheers.
I have had a local guy estimate £12,000. Never hurts to have another local contact detail if you want to pass it on. Its in Ebbw Vale.

I will probably end up getting a few mates and my local roofing mate to stay up there for a week or so and hit it, But we will see how it all works out as my aunt and I need to come to an arrangement on price yet.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back