Reroof building notice?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just been doing a bit of reading and still not sure....

Roofer is starting work next week in our roof. Stripping off clay tiles, putting in insulation as required, new felt (none at the moment) new lath and reusing existing tiles, replacing where needed. All flashings to be changed to new lead.

First. Do I need a building notice?

Second. Have I got enough time to sort it for next Wednesday?

Last. What are they going to want from me in any application? Will I need technical drawings etc?

We just wanted to improve our house!!

Sponsored Links
Ok, thanks. So, when would it become an issue if I didn't go the notice route? Presumably if we sell we wouldn't really be able to claim its a newly refurbed roof as then we will be questioned as to why we didn't get the notice? But then it would be visible to any potential buyer or surveyor that the roof was in good nick anyway?

Aside from the application fee, how much is it going to cost extra to do everything by the book? I am thinking its just the insulation they will be looking at. Everything else will be pretty much as was and improved

Hello,
You could probably fill the form out and pay on-line ,
or over the phone.
They are interested in the amount of insulation and the new weight
of the roof, compared to the old .
"Will I need technical drawings etc? " . No

Sponsored Links
Hello,
You could probably fill the form out and pay on-line ,
or over the phone.
They are interested in the amount of insulation and the new weight
of the roof, compared to the old .
"Will I need technical drawings etc? " . No

So I presume I pay, they advise on the the insulation then come and visit once its in place and say they are happy?

Rockwool type insulation 100mm between and 170 mm over
joist .
Phone your building control up and they will tell you exactly
what they want .
You are re-using the tiles so weight will not be an issue .
Anything he checks with regards to the roof will be
in your best interests .
My BCO is a very helpful person .

I've never personally handled a re-roof but would expect one visit, make sure you ask them to send you a hard copy of the certificate in the post. They're not obliged to tell you what you need to do but three layers of mineral wool cross laid is the norm.

BC interests.....

Insulation detail - 100mm between, 200mm across.

Venting detail - breather membrane plus over-fascia vents etc.

Suitability of tiles v's pitch - replace like for like? Make sure head-lap is correct especially if the roof is shallow etc.

Weight of new tiles v's old - will the roof need strengthening if the new tiles are heavier.

Lath sizes v's rafter spacing - 25mm thick battens?

Ok. I think we will be fine with all of the requirements except the insulation. There is no way we could fit that amount of insulation in some areas. Although we are certainly upgrading the insulation.

To be honest, we are staying here for 10 years plus, possibly well beyond. Not sure its worth the hassle and potential of opening a massive can of worms! I am confident a good job will be done, just that we couldn't quite reach full spec

Despite what many think, the Building Regulations are flexible when circumstances prevent their literal implementation. So if it is reasonable that you cannot achieve the 370mm odd then your BCO should be flexible. That said I expect many more do not bother with getting approval than those who do.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back