Rerouting condensate pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Like hundreds of others, I've been having problems with my condensate pipe freezing over the last few weeks. I've lagged it over and over, but it still freezes.

My boiler is located in my utility room, next to a sink. I could very easily reroute the pipe to go down the sink (temporarily at least, maybe permanently).

Is there any reason why I shouldn't do this? It seems like such an obviously solution I wonder why it wasn't done like that in the first place.

Thanks,
Adam.

Sponsored Links
Whilst terminating it into the open sink temporarily is OK to get you out of trouble, it is not ideal.

Instead tee the condensate into the waste pipe from the sink unit.

Was the sink there before the boiler was installed?

I have seen so many where an internal termination is achievable, but instead they take them straight out the wall in 22mm.

Thanks for the info.

Yes, the house is less than 10 years old, so the boiler and sink were installed at the same time. I was just wondering if there was a reason I wasn't aware of which meant the pipe should be external (it just goes to a soakaway by the back door anyway). I'll reroute it to the sink tonight, and do a better job in the New Year.

A.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back